// Bad Behavior Start $txt['permissionname_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'Bad Behavior Whitelist Group'; $txt['permissionhelp_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'This option will make a member group exempt from all Bad Behavior tests.'; // Bad Behavior End// Bad Behavior Start $txt['permissionname_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'Bad Behavior Whitelist Group'; $txt['permissionhelp_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'This option will make a member group exempt from all Bad Behavior tests.'; // Bad Behavior End Interesting rules
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Interesting rules  (Read 594 times)

Offline DougB

Interesting rules
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
Some interesting situations from the PDGA website.  At least I thought so!

---
Q:I threw my drive off a raised concrete tee pad. When I let go, the front of my foot was hanging off the front edge of the pad. Was that a stance violation?

A:No. The rule states that all supporting points must be within the teeing area at the time of release. "Supporting point" refers to any point that is in contact with the playing surface (in this case the tee pad), rather than to a complete body part such as a foot. The part of the foot that is hanging off the end is not a supporting point because it is not in contact with the playing surface, so no violation has occurred. Applicable Rules: 802.01 Teeing Off; 800.02 Definitions ("Supporting Point").
----
Q:What happens if a group starts play before the official signal is given?

A:If a group mistakenly starts play early and then hears the official start signal, they return to the tee and start over. None of those throws count as practice throws even if made after the 2-minute warning. If the group actually started early but never heard the official start signal, their scores stand as thrown with no penalties. Applicable Rules: 1.5 Practice Rounds and Beginning Play (Competition Manual).
----
I found this one to be odd.

Q:Can I hold onto a branch or other object behind my lie while putting?

A:Holding on to something behind your lie is not prohibited by the rules, provided that the object is in-bounds. It also must not be moved, since you are required to take the stance that results in the least movement of obstacles on the course. You are not allowed to hold onto another person for support, as that person is not part of the course. Applicable rules: 802.04 Throwing from a Stance; 803.01 Obstacles and Relief.
---
Q:My group agrees that my disc landed in a murky body of casual water. We could not find it. Do I play it as lost, or take casual relief?

A:If your group agrees that there is compelling evidence that the disc is in the puddle, then you assume it is in fact in the puddle, and take casual relief without penalty. Your group will need to agree on an approximate location so that you can take your relief. If your group is not confident that the disc is in the puddle, it is played as a lost disc. Applicable Rules: 804.04 Out-of-Bounds; 803.01 Obstacles and Relief.
---
Q:My throw landed on a bridge that spans an OB creek. Do I play from the bridge, or is my disc OB since it's above the creek? What if I'm on the bridge but over land?

A:A bridge is an example where one playing surface is vertically stacked above another playing surface. Each playing surface is treated independently. The bridge is in-bounds unless the TD has explicitly declared it to be OB, regardless of whether a playing surface above or below it is OB. If the two-meter rule is in use, it does not apply because your disc is on, not above, the playing surface. You mark your lie on the bridge, and there is no penalty. Applicable Rules: 802.02 Establishing Position; 804.04 Out-of-Bounds; 800.02 Definitions (Playing Surface).

Offline throwfromthewoods

Re: Interesting rules
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »
So you can brace yourself by holding on to a branch or fallen tree as long as it's not moved to better your stance? Good to know.

Offline Nick D.

• KISS #1
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »
I do love the whole 2 min, "what ifs." I could use this to my advantage.

Offline HOOPA

• CNYDGA Officer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »
I know a few people that won't like this one!

http://www.pdga.com/ratings-manipulation-addressed