// Bad Behavior Start $txt['permissionname_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'Bad Behavior Whitelist Group'; $txt['permissionhelp_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'This option will make a member group exempt from all Bad Behavior tests.'; // Bad Behavior End// Bad Behavior Start $txt['permissionname_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'Bad Behavior Whitelist Group'; $txt['permissionhelp_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'This option will make a member group exempt from all Bad Behavior tests.'; // Bad Behavior End New to the game
Username: Password:

Author Topic: New to the game  (Read 1688 times)

Offline gellosee

New to the game
« on: August 23, 2006, 04:16:32 PM »
hey guys and gals, I just received 4 discs for my brithday, (cheetah, eagle, aviar and shark) but I have never played this game before.  I can't wait to give them a try! Any tips for a newbie?

Thanks

Offline Matt

• CNYDGA Member
    • SyracuseDisc
Re: New to the game
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »
I think that's a great starter set you got.  That Aviar is probably your putter.

Tip #1:  have fun.  Sounds obvious, but still, don't get bogged down in what your score is right away.

Umm, after that, I'm not sure how general or specific to be.  You'll want to get a feel for what your discs do for you, distance- and flightpath-wise.  You might find yourself gravitating towards one main disc that always seems to go where you want it to, that's normal I think.  I think heading out to Green Lakes when hopefully it's empty enough where you could throw the Cheetah, Shark, and Eagle every shot except putting.  I get my best practice on approach shots still aiming at trees in a large park-like setting behind my apartment complex.

If you're feeling confident enough to start seeing how far you can drive, Jamesville Beach is long and open.  When you get those approach shots feeling good, Oxbow is more technical.  Clay and Emerson I don't know enough about yet.

Well, that's it for now.  Write in with more questions and more experienced people can answer.  Look for us on the courses too, happy to group up.

Offline Brownguy

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:42:42 AM »
      Greetings from Rochchacha,

My advise to you would be STRECH first. The morning after is the worst for a beginner. Your right side will be sore. This is normal so dont worry. As a new player you should take them to a open field and throw them.see what they do. Its sounds like a pain but field work is where your game will come together. Throw into the wind as much as possible. This will show you how your disc will react. Next find the guys from Cuse to take you to Jamesville. Start on the rec tees. Have fun and dont worry about score. If you have the time try to make it to the NYS or CNY championships. Follow the lead card and watch how people manange the course.  Only thing you have to remember is let the course come to you. You make a bad shot, no problem. You are going to. Dont get frustated,all this will do is take away your focus and make you hate plastic. Its never the discs fault its pilot error. Think about what you did wrong and correct it.   

Offline Roman

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »
When I started throwing real golf discs (not frisbees) it took me a little while to get used to them because you have to throw them a bit differently than frisbees.  With a typical frisbee you usually release the frisbee with a little bit of an angle that has the far edge closer to the ground (this is called "hyzer" in disc golf terminology) and the properties of the frisbee allow it to naturally flatten out as it flies.  If you throw a typical golf disc driver (like your Cheetah or Eagle) like this it will give you a sharp left turn, assuming you are right handed, instead of flattening out and flying straight.  You'll have to learn how to throw the disc "flat" and Gary Crowley describes it pretty well by saying that the disc should be released as if you were throwing across a long flat table. 

Now that I've played disc golf for several years I actually find it hard to throw a regular frisbee because I've adjusted to the discs so much.  You've already received some great advice including learning about your discs by throwing in a field and stretching before you play.  Nothing beats practice when it comes to disc golf so get out there and have some fun. 

Offline gellosee

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 12:22:33 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I got out and threw in a field for a little bit, but a lot of my shots would break hard to the left near the end, so hopefully I can control that better with some more practice.  I hope to get out to Green Lakes sometime next week to give them a try!

and I definetly can feel the soreness!

Offline KC

• League Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 08:18:32 PM »
hey, hope you enjoyed your first round of golf. if you're like most golfers you are already hooked for life. welcome to the circle. hope to see you on the courses. one helpful hint... to get better you have to play with more experienced players. a little show and tell goes a long way. good luck.  kc