// Bad Behavior Start $txt['permissionname_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'Bad Behavior Whitelist Group'; $txt['permissionhelp_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'This option will make a member group exempt from all Bad Behavior tests.'; // Bad Behavior End// Bad Behavior Start $txt['permissionname_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'Bad Behavior Whitelist Group'; $txt['permissionhelp_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'This option will make a member group exempt from all Bad Behavior tests.'; // Bad Behavior End CNY Championships 2010 - IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE
Username: Password:

Author Topic: CNY Championships 2010 - IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE  (Read 2637 times)

Offline ManoSteelNumber1

Re: CNY Championships 2010 - IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »
Well,  this is the way that the I am handling all of this for next years BWC.  Trophy only for Am's.  Period.  Hope you like your players pack.  All Am's will be paying the same rate and all pro's will be paying the same rate.  If you wanna play rec, thats cool but the tournament will not support you.  (Financially of course)  I hope it doesn't negatively impact the BWC......but that remains to be seen.

I personally think that's even worse than not having a rec division, on a couple of levels.

I am Sheri and I run the Beachwood.  A sanctioned tourney in Buffalo.  I am having a hard time justifying a rec division at the BWC for next year.  The tournament loses money on each rec player and the existance of said division has not been successful in years past.  We have only had 4 or 5 players and it has not leveled the intermediate field.  Just my 2 cents.

So you lose money on each rec player BUT there are only 4 or 5? How about losing money on female or junior players?  I've been to many tournaments where merchandise was given out to the only female just because.  If divisions are offered that separate players by gender or age, why not offer divisions that divide players by skill level? From a competition standpoint, those are the ones that matter. For a tournament I would rather play in a division beside a female, junior or master that puts up similar scores to me than a male player my age that can beat me by 10 strokes a round.  Playing with better players can benefit your game no question, but the time and place for that would be casual rounds and league play.  Tournament time is a time to compete against players at your level and see who rises to the top.

I support Rec divisions.  It's something that rochester and buffalo clubs had lacked in the past.  I can recall a few tournaments where I and others showed up wanting to play Rec, and was straight up told to just play intermediate (the sub-context being that rec division is pointless). 

Last year at CNY's I had a great time in Rec division, and there was some great competition amongst everyone.   Granted this year if I could have made it I would have played AM2, but I think with the sport finally growing well in NY, it is a necessary division. 

I've also met lots of 'casual' players on the course who want to play tournaments but won't  because they think all of their competition would be 400ft hucking -putt slamming-under par 'amazing' players.    In other words they don't understand about rec and novice divisions.  I think all NY tourneys could fill if these divisions were better advertised. 

The RFDO this year had very successful am divisions with 16 advanced, 30 Intermediates, 14 rec players, and very little overlap in scores.

I think MichiganJeff and BigDave also offer some great points!

I had a great time at the 2010 CNYs. Perfect weather! Can't wait for next season!

Offline walker

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
I don't think most rec players would mind paying the same price as intermediate.  In fact we are all getting the same product regardless of the division we play in.  I personally feel that all pros should pay the same pro fee and all ams should pay the same am fee.  The exception would be offering a discount to a targeted demographic such as women or juniors.  Enticing these demographics to play helps the sport grow and lower entry fees are a viable option to do so.

I agree 100% with Dave here.   Where did the idea of higher divisions being more expensive come from?  Is that a PDGA mandated thing?

Offline sheri clam princess

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »
Our BWC is too big for an Am payout.  It is too much work, stress, grief, and time.  It also means that every player is paid out prior to playing via fat player packs.  Am's need to remember what they are.....Am's.  If you want a trophy,  play better.  If you want to win money, play better.  Pretty simple.

My whole point is that my rec divisions have not leveled my intermediate field.  As a TD that is what I'm looking for.  Fair and equitable play.

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »
As far as chicks.....you are lucky when we show up.  The BWC PAYS CHICKS VERY WELL.  If anyone has an issue, they need to grow a set....of breasts.

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
Walker- I believe that we started charging less for rec players to encourage them to particapate.  I have never seen a cheaper division make this happen.  When we lower chicks or juniors cost, it has not lead to more juniors and or chicks.  It just doesn't work that way.  At least in my experiences.

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 09:52:02 PM »
Also, if one one chick shows and she plays in her own division....she should be paid out to match her registration.  cuz she earned it.